A USB Flash Drive is commonly used to transfer information from one computer to another. It is used to store music, images, videos, office documents and program setups.
Have you ever thought that you can change its background wallpaper and drive icon? You can do a lot of things with it and customize the way it looks like. This article is full of new ideas to make your USB Flash Drive look cool and unique.
1. Give your USB Drive a Custom Icon
2. Give your USB Drive a Background Image
Give your USB Drive a Custom Icon
Custom Icon is a drive icon that would appear in the My Computer. When you connect your USB Flash Drive, the computer would first recognize it. Then its icon is displayed in the My Computer window. That’s what I want you to change! Instead of a standard icon give your USB Drive a custom icon- for example: an icon with picture of a USB Drive or similar.
1. Download free icon files online. (.ico)
(For example: Visit http://findicons.com/search/drive, download any .ICO file free-of-cost)
2. Connect your USB Flash Drive, let the computer recognize.
3. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | Notepad.
4. Copy-paste the following code:
5. Click File | Save.
6. Save the file with following preferences:
File Name: MyDriveIcon.ico
File Path: <USB Drive Root>
File Type: All Files
7. Close the file.
8. Copy the icon that you have downloaded. Paste it in the root folder of your USB Flash Drive. Rename the icon file as “MyDriveIcon.ico”.
9. Right click MyDriveIcon.ico and AutoRun.inf files, select Properties. Check-up the “Hidden” and “Read Only” checkboxes. Click Apply | OK.
10. Safely remove your USB Flash Drive, unplug and replug it. This time it would appear with your new cool drive icon.
Give your USB Drive a Background Image
A background image is something like wallpaper. Drive background image is displayed when you browse files of your USB Flash Drive. I would like you to replace the default white background screen with a cool background image.
Note: This trick may or may not work on your PC. There are alternative steps as well. You may also download a free USB drive wallpaper changer software program to customize it. Just Google it.
1. Connect your USB Flash Drive, let the computer recognize it.
2. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | Notepad.
3. Type following code:
VeBRA sources – don’t delete the tag above, it’s there for XXXXX purposes -
4. Click File | Save.
5. Save the file with the following attributes:
File Name: Desktop.ini
File Path: <USB Flash Drive Root>
File Type: All Files
6. Close the file.
7. Download a cool background image (wallpaper) from the internet. (It must be in JPG format)
8. Paste it to the root directory of your USB Flash Drive. Rename the file as “DriveBackImage.jpg”.
9. Right click DriveBackImage.jpg and Desktop.ini files, select Properties. Check-up the “Hidden” and “Read Only” checkboxes. Click Apply | OK.
10. Safely remove your USB Flash Drive, unplug and replug it again.